First quarter highlights
- Gross winnings revenue amounted to GBP 76.1 (76.5) million for the first quarter of 2015.
- The result for the quarter as reported in GBP was significantly affected by the translation effect of movements in currency exchange rates. The underlying organic growth in gross winnings revenue in constant currency was more than 15%.
- If Unibet reported results in SEK, gross winnings revenue for the quarter would have amounted to SEK 960.1 (818.5) million, a growth of more than 17% and more than 20% excluding Kambi.
- The movements in currency have a direct positive effect for Swedish shareholders. The dividend proposed to the AGM on 12 May of GBP 1.64 (1.10) represents a 49% increase in GBP. In SEK at the rate of exchange on 28 April 2015, the estimated dividend of SEK 21.50 (11.70) represents an increase of 84%.
- Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) for the first quarter of 2015 were GBP 14.4 (21.3) million.Profit from operations for the first quarter of 2015 amounted to GBP 11.3 (16.6) million.
- Profit before tax for the first quarter of 2015 amounted to GBP 11.3 (16.5) million.
- Profit after tax for the first quarter of 2015 amounted to GBP 10.0 (15.3) million.
- Earnings per share for the first quarter of 2015 were GBP 0.351 (0.544).
- Number of active customers at the end of the quarter was 612,269 (552,338).
“Organic growth of 15% in gross winnings revenue in constant currency”
“During the first quarter Unibet has continued to focus on marketing to build on the success achieved in 2014. This has been reflected in all-time highs in customer deposits (up 12% in GBP and 25% in constant currency), sports betting turnover (up 17% in GBP and 30% in constant currency) and also active customers reached a new ATH and even surpassed the impressive activity levels achieved during last year’s World Cup in Football. As we know, it takes some time for increased customer activity to flow through into gross winnings revenue, so the higher marketing investment and lower margins in the quarter had a short-term impact on the reported result.”
“Unibet’s organic growth continued to develop strongly in the first quarter, with an increase of gross winnings revenue in constant currency of more than 15%, against strong comparatives. This is again significantly higher growth than the overall market and indicates that we are continuing to take market shares across the board.”
“Our market leading mobile offerings are continuing to deliver strong growth and now account for 48% of gross winnings revenue. Our strategy focused on re-regulation has continued to deliver good results and in the first quarter 28% of gross winnings revenue was from locally regulated markets.”
“In the period up to 26 April, daily average gross winnings revenue in constant currency was around 4% higher than in the first quarter 2015. Underlying activity continues to develop extremely positively, with sports betting turnover up 22% in GBP (39% in constant currency) compared to the same period in 2014”, says Henrik Tjärnström, CEO of Unibet.
For further information please contact:
Inga Lundberg, Investor Relations +44 7887 996 116
Henrik Tjärnström, CEO +44 7515 975 629
Unibet was founded in 1997 and is an online gambling company listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. Unibet is one of the largest privately-owned gambling operators in the European market and provides services in 21 languages through www.unibet.com, www.unibet.dk, www.unibet.fr, www.unibet.it, www.unibet.be, www.unibet.ee, www.unibet.co.uk, www.unibet.com.au, www.maria.com, www.mariacasino.ee, www.mariacasino.co.uk and www.mariacasino.dk. Unibet has 10.0 million registered customers in over 100 countries. Unibet is a member of the EGBA, European Gaming and Betting Association, RGA, Remote Gambling Association in the UK and is audited and certified by eCOGRA in relation to responsible and fair gaming.
More information about Unibet Group plc can be found on www.unibetgroupplc.com and twitter.com/UnibetGroup