Second quarter and first half year highlights
- New all-time high in Gross winnings revenue of GBP 126.6 (80.5) million for the second quarter of 2016, and GBP 249.0 (156.6) million for the first half of 2016. Gross winnings revenue from the acquisitions of iGame Group and Stan James Online amounted to GBP 14.7 million for the second quarter of 2016.
- Underlying EBITDA for the second quarter of 2016 was GBP 22.0 (19.0) million, and GBP 50.5 (34.1) million for the first half of 2016. EBITDA from the acquisitions iGame Group and Stan James Online amounted to GBP 4.6 million for the second quarter of 2016.
- Profit before tax for the second quarter of 2016 amounted to GBP 15.4 (15.2) million. Profit before tax for the first half of 2016 amounted to GBP 37.9 (26.5) million.
- Profit after tax for the second quarter of 2016 amounted to GBP 13.5 (13.4) million. Profit after tax for the first half of 2016 amounted to GBP 33.5 (23.4) million.
- Earnings per share for the second quarter of 2016 were GBP 0.059 (0.059) and GBP 0.146 (0.103) for the first half of 2016.
- Free cash flow for the second quarter of 2016 amounted to GBP 21.4 (11.3) million. Free cash flow for the first half of 2016 amounted to GBP 47.0 (25.0).
- Number of active customers at the end of the quarter was 1,132,840 (603,528). Of these 216,515 are customers of iGame Group and Stan James Online.
“Investments drive sustained market-share gains with 57 per cent increase in Gross winnings revenue (47 per cent in constant currency)“
"The quarter was characterised by the Euro 2016 which provided a new all-time high in customer activity and continued strong growth. Margins in the tournament were significantly higher in July than in June. If the margins had been consistent across the tournament, then Gross winnings revenue for the second quarter would have been around GBP 3 million higher.”
“Gross winnings revenue in the Nordic region grew by 48 per cent (21 per cent organic in constant currency), while Western Europe grew by over 71 per cent (37 per cent organic in constant currency). Of the Gross winnings revenue 35 per cent was from locally regulated markets.”
“Gross winnings revenues from the mobile channel more than doubled in GBP (74 per cent organic growth in constant currency) and accounted for 63 per cent of the total Gross winnings revenue in the second quarter.”
“As in previous tournament years, we invested heavily in marketing both for new customer acquisition and reactivation of existing customers. While this has a short term effect in reducing profits, we are confident that this as proven previously will drive sustained growth in Gross winnings revenue and profits. For the quarter, marketing was 30 per cent of Gross winnings revenue, but for the full year we still expect it to average a few percentage points below 30 per cent.”
“In the period from 1 to 24 July 2016, average daily Gross winnings revenue in GBP has more than doubled compared to the same period in 2015. Adjusting for the unusually high margin on the final stages of the Euros, the impact of exchange rate changes and acquisitions, the organic constant currency growth is close to 50 per cent,” says Henrik Tjärnström, CEO of Unibet Group.
Today, Wednesday 27 July 2016, Unibet Group’s CEO Henrik Tjärnström will host a presentation in English at FinancialHearings, Operaterrassen in Stockholm at 9.00 CEST.
For those who would like to participate in the telephone conference in connection with the presentation, the telephone number is UK: +44 20 3008 9804 or in the USA: +1 855 831 5946.
The Unibet Group companies hold local gambling licences in UK, France, Belgium, Denmark, Germany (Schleswig-Holstein), Italy, Australia, Ireland, Romania and Estonia. The Unibet Group also holds international gambling licences in Malta, Gibraltar and Alderney. The Unibet Group pays betting duties in all markets in accordance with applicable local laws.
For further information please contact:
Inga Lundberg, Investor Relations +44 7887 996 116
Henrik Tjärnström, CEO +46 723 878 059
About the Unibet Group
The Unibet Group is one of Europe’s largest listed online gambling operators and is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. The Group provides services in 20 languages to over 15.3 million customers in over 100 countries through several subsidiaries and brands. The Group is a member of the EGBA, European Gaming and Betting Association, RGA, Remote Gambling Association in the UK and is audited and certified by eCOGRA in relation to the pan-European CEN standard on consumer protection and responsible gaming.
More information about the Unibet Group plc can be found on www.unibetgroupplc.com and twitter.com/UnibetGroup.